Members of QAD work in a variety of settings. They may have their own private practice, belong to a doula organization, or even volunteer in a community group.
Some suggestions for choosing your doula:
- Make sure you share the same philosophy as your doula.
- Each person, partner, and doula is unique. It is strongly recommended that you meet and choose your doula with your partner for doulas who work in the fertility, birth, postnatal, abortion and perinatal bereavement fields. If you are looking for an end of life doula, you can also meet them with a loved one.
- Be mindful that a doula cannot replace your doctor or midwife. A doula is not allowed to perform reserved acts or to make diagnoses They can suggest alternatives to certain procedures and inform you of your rights, but they cannot speak on your behalf.
- Ask open-ended questions. For example :
What do you think about the hypno-birthing method? I am concerned about this procedure, how will you support me?
- Check for availability, empathy and integrity. It is essential that you feel comfortable communicating with your doula if you have any concerns, and that you feel you can trust them. What is their availability by phone? In person? Number of scheduled meetings? How long will the meetings last? ake sure your doula offers you a contract. Clarity in the doula/client relationship is essential to prevent disappointment on both sides. It is not mandatory to sign a letter of commitment or a contract; however, we strongly recommend it.
- Check their basic training, as well as their additional training and continuing education.
- Check the solution offered if your doula cannot be physically present to provide a service.
- What are your doula’s fees? What does it include? Are there any additional fees, such as for hospital parking, travel, etc. ? Can your doula issue receipts for insurance?
Don’t hesitate to look at several profiles, to call and talk to several doulas to make sure you’ve made the right choice. Many doulas offer an introductory meeting at little or no cost.